For the past month, we have been surveying students throughout Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky related to their use of social media and technology. By April 2019, our goal is to have about 10,000 surveys from students in grades 5 through 12.
Thus far, we have 1,100 competed surveys. However, we wanted to find one school district that best mirrors the demographics of our area. As such, we examined over 500 students’ surveys from that to provide an approximation of how, where and at what time students are using technology. We also wanted to better understand how their use of such devices makes them feel.
The following interview conducted by Local 12’s Sheila Gray, examines just a few of the 26 questions we asked.
I want to thank Theo Sahlsberg from Report Gorilla in London for taking our raw data and turning it into something meaningful. He went well beyond my expectations.
Below are some of our questions. Keep in mind, during the interview some of our statistics are combined percentages. For example, a question whose answer might includes, Yes and Somewhat are counted as Yes in our calculations for the interview. The letter F on a chart signifies answers from Females. The letter M signifies Males.
- Has the use of social media ever made you feel sad or poorly about yourself? Yes, Sometimes, No
- Do you feel that you often compere your life to others who you follow on social media? Yes, Sometimes, No
- In your opinion, how prevalent is the viewing of pornography among students in your school? Very, Somewhat, Not Really, Other
- Are you allowed to take your phone into your bedroom overnight? Yes, No
- Have you ever been bullied? Yes, No
- Do you feel that bullying and Cyber-Bullying are issues at your school? Yes, Somewhat, No